Yeast infection is the result of fungal infection of Candida Albicans. These fungi are normally found in warm and moist areas of body like vagina. Research results have shown that every 5 out of 10 women are affected with this infection. The upgraded category of Candida Infection also termed as Candidemia which has become a life threatening disease.
This disease is commonly seen in women due to vaginal irritation and vaginitis and also occurs in male genitals. It can also be seen in infants and children from the ages of 3 to 9 and they can be affected from mouth yeast and it appears to be in form of white patches. It is seen that the infection of skin and mucosal membranes by Candida causes inflammation and discomfort in most of the people. Candida also comes in different diseases syndromes that differ in their causes and symptoms.
Causes of Yeast Infection
Growth of Candida yeast or Candida albicans is already present in human body and their growth is dependent on human immune system and other micro-organisms. Candida albicans are released from vagina of women who seem to be in good health.
- Use of detergents or douches or internal disturbances like any of the physiological or hormonal disturbance may also result in overgrowth of Candida cells causing signs of yeast infection.
- Pregnancy and the use of oral contraceptive are also one of the causes of it.
- Using the lubricants containing glycerin without cleaning after sexual intercourse may leave a threat of vaginal yeast infection.
- Diabetes mellitus and usage of anti-bacterial antibiotics are responsible for the growth of it as well.
- Other diseases which can be linked to Candida as well include HIV, steroids, mononucleosis, stress cancer treatment, and other types of situations like nutrient deficiency.
Symptoms of yeast infection are as follows;
- Burning or itching sensation in private parts
- Colorless discharge from vagina
- Pain while urination
- Pain while having intercourse
- Depression and mood swings
- Constant tiredness or fatigue
- Pain or swelling of the joints
When above symptoms are noticed, proper diagnosis is required to get protected. Diagnosis may be done by microscopic inspection or culturing. Through light microscopy, a scrapping or swab of the affected area is placed on a microscopic slide. The potassium hydroxide is used as titrant to leave Candida cells visible. This is the most commonly used practice these days to identify Candida species or yeast infection.
Social & Health Problems of Yeast Infection
The daily life for both men and women is disturbed due to yeast infection which leads them to the way of weakness due to the use of regular medicine. Problem of itchiness or dryness on skin is also a common thing. The sexual dysfunction can also cause a number of mental problems both for male and female. Socially being less healthy and irritant can trigger feeling of low self-esteem and self-confidence. Some of the people can also experience emotional upset that bother them. In short, the complications of yeast infection can badly affect both man and woman in every aspect of their life whether it is personal, social or professional.