Antioxidants are good for your skin because they arrest the spread of free radicals and promote overall skin health and well being. However, it is better to be a little knowledgeable about the process as simply putting a lot of skin creams and facials on the skin may not have the desired effect. Knowing about skin type and the effect of certain ingredients may result in a better outcome when it comes to applying the best treatment. Keep these points in mind;
- Not all vitamin products have the same effect: In many cases, Vitamin C is made to penetrate the skin in acidic form because it’s more effective that way. This can cause a burning or stinging sensation when applied. Its best to discuss the treatment with the doctor before it is done. Some quality products from Skin Ceuticals, Jan Marini and La Roche have a soothing effect on the skin.
- Be careful while mixing antioxidants and other items: The order and timing of applying or taking off skincare products can assume importance. AHA or alpha hydroxy acids are known to cause antioxidants to break down, so applying them at the same time as antioxidants may have a nullifying effect. It is best to apply AHA products in the night and antioxidants in the morning.
- A good mixture of treatments may be more effective: Just as the various ingredients of a vegetable or fruit salad can have a combined beneficial effect that is more than that of its separate ingredients, so also taking skin care supplements in medical, nutritional and other forms can help care for the skin better than just using one approach.
- Antioxidants can have other beneficial effects: Vitamin C not only protects you from the sun, but can also help boost the production of collagen which tightens the skin and makes it more youthful looking. Feverfew is another ingredient that helps those with rosacea and is a good anti-inflammatory treatment.
- Some antioxidants are more effective than others: The ORAC value associated with antioxidants tells you how effective they are in terms of concentrated goodness or potency. Idebenone and coffee berry have very high ORAC values. For best results, always use a combination of skin care products and treatments.
- Some new antioxidants you should know about: Argan oil and oxyfullerane are two new skin treatment ingredients that are getting a lot of good press lately. Pure argan oil is a recommended treatment that does wonders from the body if applied from head to toe, and has no side effects. Combray is recommended for its high concentration of oxofullerane. Research on reservatol indicates that it is a promising product for skincare. So the scenario looks promising for the rest of the year 2014.
Many articles on skin care and grooming usually mention some common terms like antioxidants, free radicals and reservatol. It is therefore important to understand what these are and how they help in grooming the skin. This article will give you a further understanding of these often repeated terms.